If you are planning on installing a water filter for yourself and your family, you will know how difficult it is to choose one of the many kinds of water filters that are available in the market.
However, the most prevalent topic of debate is the Alkaline water filter vs reverse osmosis system. While it might get very difficult to choose one, we are here with a comprehensive guide on which one will be best suited for your purpose.
How Does an Alkaline Water Filter Work?
An Alkaline water filter does one job that can be rarely found in any other water filtration system at hand. What such a filter does is, it neutralizes the acidic content in water and makes it safe and healthy for use.
In a way, it makes the water less acidic in nature by increasing the pH content, which further improves digestion in a person. Many pieces of research through time have proved that consuming alkaline water is the best possible option for human beings.
So, what can be the reasons to choose an Alkaline Water Filtration system over others? Here is a list for that…
- If you have a highly acidic diet, you must drink alkaline water. The fact that the water you are drinking doesn’t have acidic content in it, means it is soft on your digestive system.
- If you are a coffee drinker, you should totally go for an alkaline water filter. If you drink alkaline water, it will help with balancing out the proportion of acid that increases due to coffee’s nature. This will thus help you with both dehydration and acidity.
- One common fact is that bacteria and viruses which cause diseases survive well in an acidic environment. That is why you should use alkaline water to neutralize the acid which is the breeding ground for such diseases.
- Minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and Sodium are not eliminated in the process of filtration. Therefore, it enhances the quality of water and the minerals make it even healthier than packaged drinking water.
How Does a Reverse Osmosis Filter Work?
The Reverse Osmosis system of water filtration is the most prevalent form of filtration.
Since the 1990s it has raised in terms of fame and sales. Most households have the Reverse Osmosis filtration system installed in them. When you use a RO filter you can be sure that the water you are drinking is free from all the harmful elements. This filtration process uses a complex system of filtration which removes contaminants that are down to 10000th of a micron from water.
By now you surely have the idea of what a RO water filtration system is. But why should you choose it? Here is a list of all the ways in which a RO Filtration system is better than many other options available in the market…
- If you have tasted tap water which is drinking water provided by the municipal corporation, you know how much it tastes like a swimming pool. It is because of the chlorine that is added to the water for eliminating and absorbing contamination. In the RO system, the chlorine will be removed from the water.
- One of the main reasons to choose RO water is that it tastes amazing. Due to the removal of any foreign particles and other components, a RO Water filter makes it even tastier.
- If you live in a town which has industries all around, you might be aware that contaminated industrial wastewater can often mix with groundwater. This indicates that the water you are consuming can have rather harmful chemicals added to it. In such a situation, a RO filtration system is the best suited.
- The installation of a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system is very easy and needs minimal professional help. It is also very easy to use and is a good investment in the long run.
Differences between an Alkaline Water Filter vs Reverse Osmosis System
An alkaline water filter is naturally very different from a RO Filter. But one should have a clear idea about the major differences that might affect the decision-making procedure and rather make it easy.
So following are the various ways in which an Alkaline Water filtration system is different from that of an RO (reverse osmosis) water filtration system.
Need for electricity
An Alkaline Water filtration system does not need electricity to run. On the other hand, a Reverse Osmosis system needs a constant backup of electricity to run.
The electricity is a requirement because without that the system will not be able to filter through the small particles of water. An alkaline water filter uses a simple procedure and thus it does not need electricity.
Wastage of Water
In the Reverse Osmosis form of filtration, a lot of water is wasted. Every time the valves are filled with normal tap water, the filter makes it go through a series of procedures which entails the elimination of a certain quantity of water, this water is therefore thrown out of the system. This is the reason why almost half the quantity of water is lost every time the process occurs.
Mineral content in water
An Alkaline water filter retains all the original minerals that are present in the water. Whereas, in a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system, the water that is the final product for drinking is devoid of all the minerals because it goes through a set of filtration which also eliminates the necessary minerals in water which our body needs regularly.
Acidic nature of water
An alkaline water filter produces water which lacks acidity of all nature. This is the reason why people with digestive issues should choose to drink alkaline water because it neutralizes the acid formed inside the body. On the other hand, a Reverse Osmosis system makes the water even more acidic.
This is because the filtration system eliminates all forms of minerals from the water. This in turn makes it give out acidic water. One can always use an ionizer after RO filtration to add minerals and make the water less acidic. But that entails much more money and effort.
Size of the filter
An Alkaline water filter is often called a countertop filter. This is because of its size. It’s rather small in form and can be fit into any top whether inside or outside the kitchen.
A Reverse Osmosis system is rather large in size. It also needs to be installed in the kitchen. One cannot keep a RO filter just anywhere they please. It has to be connected to the water system and has to be installed onto any of the walls in the kitchen.
So Which one is The Best Filtration System?
The best filtration system for a family depends on a number of things. Many factors are important such as the cost incurred, the location of the household, the quality of water that is provided and a lot more. To compare the two filtration systems, we have to acknowledge that an alkaline water filter is much easier and hassle-free to handle.
It is eco-friendly as well because it doesn’t need any electricity. On the other hand, the Reverse Osmosis system provides the safest and cleanest water. It makes the water safe as well as tasty for consumption.
So if you need a cost-effective solution, non-acidic water, and mineral-rich water — go for an Alkaline water filtration system.
And if you want to improve the taste of your house water, and want to filter all the heavy metals from the water — go for a Reverse Osmosis (RO) water filtration system.
So now that you know how each of the water filters works and their difference, we hope you will be able to come to a conclusion.
While all filtration systems have their own perks along with the cons, you have to analyze your needs and choose accordingly. After all, nothing comes ahead of good health for yourself and your family and water is the main source for good health. So choose very carefully after a thorough comparison between the two options.