Every cell in your body requires water to function appropriately. From industrial purposes to commercial and residential uses, water is used everywhere. The quality of water is also an important aspect that one needs to consider for health reasons.
We’re sure you know how important it is for you to consume clean water, but not everyone knows the differences between the different types of water available in the market. The type of water best for use depends upon what application it is being used for.
The following guide investigates the main differences between purified vs distilled water. We will also look at the pros and cons of each of these types of water in detail.
- What is Purified Water
- What is Distilled Water
- Purified Vs Distilled Water: Which is Better?
- The Bottom Line
What is Purified Water
Purified water has gone through a filtration process to remove impurities effectively and unwanted particles found in water. Both groundwater and tap water can be converted into purified water, and hence, it is accessible to everyone.
During the process of purification of water, several contaminants get eliminated. These contaminants include:
- Various parasites
- Chemical pollutants
- Heavy metals such as copper and lead
Different purification methods used to filter water are:
These filtration methods differ from each other, but they give similar results. As per the water regulation standards of the EPA & FDA, water can only be termed as purified water when it has a PPM of less than 10.
Simply put, it means that water is called purified water when at least 90% of the contaminants have been eliminated from it.
Purified Water Pros
Purified water is known to be the purest form of water for our consumption. It has numerous benefits that include:
- Purified water does not contain chlorine, consumption of higher quantities of which can lead to cancer.
- Purified water is good for your digestive tract and colon.
- The process of purification removes toxic heavy metals like copper and lead.
- Does not contain harmful bacteria.
- It has a good taste as it doesn’t contain chemicals, organic matter, and metallic substances.
Purified Water Cons
Although purified water is healthy and safe to drink, it has its set of cons as well. Let’s quickly take a look at a few drawbacks of purified water:
- Fluoride is a good mineral that helps with tooth decay and is good for your overall oral health. Purification methods remove fluoride from water as well.
- If you drink bottled purified water by buying plastic bottles, it leads to a lot of wastage and is harmful to the environment.
- Purified water may contain a few chemicals and contaminants that couldn’t get removed.
- You need to maintain water filtration systems regularly to ensure that they work effectively and efficiently.
- Investing in a good water filter or buying packaged purified water daily can get extremely expensive, and not everyone can afford it.
What is Distilled Water
Distilled water is a type of purified water. In distillation, water is boiled to turn it into steam, and it is then made to turn back to water through condensation. When the water turns into steam, it leaves all the unwanted particles and chemicals behind, resulting in clean and fresh drinking water.
Distillation removes several contaminants such as:
- Giardia and protozoa
- Numerous bacteria and viruses
- Harmful chemicals like lead and sulfate
Distilled water is usually used in laboratories and for medical purposes as it is pure and clear.
Distilled Water Pros
There are various benefits of drinking distilled water. Some of these benefits include:
- Distilled water effectively eliminates chlorine, which is harmful to our health.
- Distilled water has a good taste and smell.
- Distillation is known to be one of the most effective methods of getting rid of unwanted components.
- Distilled water’s purity makes it safe to drink for those who suffer from HIV, cancer, or other dangerous health issues.
- Distilled water should be a good option for you if you have a weak immune system as it does not contain any harmful pesticides and bacteria.
Distilled Water Cons
Distilled water is a pure and clean form of water, but it doesn’t make it the healthiest form of water available for consumption. Distilled water comes with its share of cons as well. The cons of distilled water include:
- Distilled water eliminates fluoride, which is good for your oral health.
- Distillation eliminates essential minerals and electrolytes essential for your health.
- Distillation removes calcium and magnesium. Lack of these components can put you at a high risk of getting fractures, preterm birth, and heart diseases.
It is not crucial to obtain all the essential minerals and nutrients from the water. If you maintain a balanced and healthy diet, you should be good to go.
Purified Vs Distilled Water: Which is Better?
Distilled water and purified water are both good for your health as they are pure and clean. The point where distilled water can be differentiated from purified water is the fact that distilled water also eliminates essential nutrients while purified water retains them.
There is also a significant difference between how both the processes take place. Moreover, distillation takes more time and energy, making it harmful to our environment. If you use the process of reverse osmosis filtration to purify water, you’ll be consuming considerably less energy.
If you’re looking to drink the purest form of water one can find, distilled water is the right pick for you. However, purified water is considerably healthier as it contains healthy minerals.
Lastly, your choice of water should depend upon your personal preferences after taking the benefits and drawbacks of both of these types of water into consideration.
The Bottom Line
It is essential to access clean and fresh drinking water to ensure you stay healthy and fit.
Most sources of water available are usually safe to drink as they are strictly regulated, but purified water usually has the upper hand. Purified water is clear and safe for consumption as it eliminates all the contaminants present in tap water.
The quality of water you drink also depends on the area you live in. Both distilled water and purified water are equally good, and you should go through their pros and cons to choose the right one for you and your family.
Is distilled water the same as purified water?
Distilled water falls under the category of purified water. Contaminants, as well as minerals, are removed from distilled water. On the other hand, purified water does not contain any contaminants but retains all the essential minerals.
Is it healthy to consume purified water?
Yes, it is completely safe to consume purified water as it removes all the harmful chemicals and contaminants found in tap water. Purification systems also ensure that essential minerals such as magnesium and calcium are preserved.
Is purified water better than distilled water?
While distilled water removes both contaminants and vital minerals & nutrients, purified water eliminates harmful contaminants only. It is suggested to use purified water for drinking purposes.